- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 brown onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed (optional)
- 750g (24 oz) lean beef mince or vege mince
- 600ml (20 fluid ounces) bolognaise sauce
- 625g (22 oz) packet fresh gnocchi
- 150g (5.29 oz) cheese, grated
- Preheat oven to 200°C/Gas mark 6. Heat oil in a non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic. Cook for 5 minutes or until soft. Increase heat to medium-high. Add mince. Cook, stirring with a wooden spoon to break up mince, for 5 minutes or until browned.
- Add pasta sauce. Season with salt and pepper. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium. Simmer for 10 to 15 minutes or until sauce thickens.
- Meanwhile, cook gnocchi in a saucepan of boiling, salted water for 3 minutes or until partially cooked (see note). Drain. Spoon bolognaise into a lightly-greased, 6cm deep, 24cm x 30cm (base) baking dish. Top with gnocchi. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until cheese is melted and sauce bubbling at edges.